Disclaimer: This information is not meant to replace any medical treatment. It is offered here as a service. Use this information at your own risk. No guarantee is made towards validity. This is my personal belief on how high quality essential oils work for me.
I've enjoyed using aromatherapy for colds for several years. Friends of mine use them for everything.
Aromatherapy oils and their uses:
- Eucalyptus: for congestion/flus
- Frankincense: for calming emotions
- Geranium: menopausal problems & PMS
- Jasmine: induces labour
- Lavendar: for relaxation
- Peppermint: for quick energy
- Rose: a uterine tonic and aids in contractions during childbirth
- Sandalwood: for relaxation, digestive troubles (esp. due to tension), dry skin
- Tea Tree: strong disinfectant, anti-bacterial, and anti-fungal
Avoid The Following Oils When Pregnant:
Basil, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Fennel, Jasmine, Juniper, Lavendar, Marjoram,
Myrrh, Rose, Rosemary, Sage, and Thyme.
Avoid the following oils if you have Epilepsy:
Champhor, Fennel, Hyssop, Sage, and Rosemary.
Ways of using aromatherapy:
- Place a few drops of essential oil into a bowl of steaming water. Breathe the steam for 15-30 minutes. This is great for clearing sinuses and providing headcold relief.
- Place a drop or two on your wrist. Breathe it while you work. When you had enough, wash it off. (This is like wearing perfume.)
- Place a few drops on a cloth. Use this cloth as a scarf or place it on your pillow case. Move cloth away when you have had enough. (Great for using while sleeping!)
- Use during massage. This can have amazing effects. Beware that changes can happen EXTREMELY fast when doing this, so dilution is recommended.
- Aromatherapy bath salts are often both extremely relaxing and effective.