Monday, October 03, 2011
by Mike Adams, the Health Ranger
(NaturalNews) In what is perhaps the most significant breaking news we've
heard on the GMO front in a long time, an effort has just been announced in
California that seeks to gather enough signatures to put an historical
initiative on the ballot which would require the labeling of GMOs in foods.
I interviewed Ronnie Cummins from the Organic Consumers Association (www.OrganicConsumers.org), who is a key leader in advocating mandatory GMO labeling. His organization is playing a significant role in helping to get this initiative on the ballot in California.
This is the pathway to victory against GMOs! With this initiative on the ballot, we have a very achievable strategy to deal a death blow to GMOs and restore sanity and integrity to our seeds and food crops.
Listen to the full interview with Ronnie Cummins on SoundCloud:
Highlights from the announcement for mandatory GMO labeling• This labeling initiative is effectively a "ban" on GMOs, because most consumers simply won't buy genetically engineered ingredients once they know they are present in conventional foods.
• GMOs are only continuing to be grown and sold today because consumers have been prevented from knowing about the GMO ingredients in their foods.
• 75% of all non-organic processed foods in grocery stores today contain genetically engineered ingredients.
• 90% - 95% of Americans want to know which foods contain GMOs.
• The GMO industry is already gearing up to fight this ballot initiative and plans to spread lies about GMOs such as "GMOs are necessary to feed the world" or "genetically engineered crops are perfectly safe!" (The quack scientists who push GMOs are no doubt gearing up to spread their lies and disinformation as part of the effort to confuse consumers and thereby protect their GMO profits.)
• This initiative, if approved, would force health food retailers like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's to reformulate their own products and inventory to remove GMOs. "There's gonna be panic in the boardrooms of Whole Foods and Trader Joe's," says Cummins.
• 700,000 signatures are needed in California to put this initiative on the ballot. This will require an army of volunteers with clipboards to gather the signatures. See below for how you can contribute to this effort.
• Go to www.OrganicConsumers.org and click on the "Millions Against Monsanto" campaign page to see where you can sign up to be a volunteer.
• Significant funding providers for this campaign include: Dr. Bronner's - $1 million, Nature's Path - $500k, Mercola.com - $500k, Organic Consumers Association - $250k and others.
More announcements and interviews coming from NaturalNewsTomorrow, NaturalNews is announcing our own donation and fundraising effort to support the effort to demand mandatory GMO labeling and ultimately remove GMOs from the food supply entirely. Keep reading NaturalNews.com this week and throughout the month of October, where you'll find up-to-date breaking news and announcements about the most important developments in the realm of GMOs.
Also check out our sister site www.AlternativeNews.com for breaking alternative news throughout the day. We're covering theOccupy Wall Streetprotests, GMO rallies, victories against fluoride, the latest news on vaccine dangers, and a whole lot more.
We are winning this info war against runaway greed and false science! Help us spread the word by sharing our stories and linking to them.
Have you seen the pictures of NaturalNews editor Mike Adams speaking to the crowd at the Austin, Texas GMO rally? Find them on Facebook at: